Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Comet Machholz has been observable here for several days now, but the skies have been clouded. So it was also today that in the early evening the sky was overcast and it rained - water. But when I went outside after eight o´clock, the sky was completely clear and I took my binoculars and went to an open field beside my home. I didn´t see the comet with my bare eyes, but it didn´t took longer than a couple of minutes to find it with the binoculars. It really wasn´t much to look at - of course, my eyes weren´t adapted to the dark yet - nothing that could really be said to be a tail, just a bright nucleus and the less bright outer part. And not a hint of the beautiful green that the photos show. But it was the first comet that I had seen in 7 years, as I missed Ikeya-Zhang.

No comments: