Sunday, October 31, 2004

I just went and ordered Neal Stephenson´s entire acclaimed The Baroque Cycle trilogy, even if it´s stained by the sin of alternate history. There were huge differences between different bookshops, the highest price for the three of them wase 95€, the lowest one - from the bookshop chain from which I ordered them - was 59€. I also ordered Alastair Reynolds The Century Rain; even if his massive space operas seem sometimes like some slumbering giant animals of old, not getting anywhere fast, they got this atmosphere and style that I like of. His Chasm City was just translated and chopped in two parts(900 pages total, compared to the 528 pages of my english copy of the book), so that the publisher could get more money(both parts cost 18€, so 36€ total, I bought my english copy at something like 13€). This has become a bad habit for our publishers, Tad Williams Memory, Sorrow and Thorn -series was published as 12 books(each hardcover cost about 30€,) and in Robert Jordan´s The Wheel -series each book is chopped to form about three books...

No comments: