Friday, October 29, 2004

I went yesterday to see Michael Mann´s new movie, "The Collateral".

It´s beautifully filmed, existentialist work that in the end left me feeling that it lacked something. What, I can´t really make into a few words that would explain what the movie should have contained more, but certainly the movie is a kind of a light work. It tries to make these philosophic questions of life and it´s worth, but maybe it should have shown more of the violence and it effects? After all, the killing machine that is Tom Cruise´s character does much of the killings offstage, like in some old Greek tragedy. And then the movie could have asked couple of more questions.

I really don´t understand why Mann´s "Heat"(1995) gets so much praise. It was a more solid work, but the atmosphere in "The Collateral" is better. It´s like a graphic poem at it´s best. But the story... I didn´t really care for the people who died in the movie. Characters like Fanning should have been given more "flesh" and then maybe the casual way Vincent kills him would have been more shocking. The killing of Fanning itself was a kind of a naive thing to do from Mann, I saw it coming a long time.

I am a little disappointed.

No comments: