Sunday, April 11, 2004

As Cassini creeps closer to Saturn, it´s nice to follow it´s travel and
see how the planet grows in the succeeding photos. Now invidual
storms can be tracked in the planet´s atmosphere.

Things have changed much from the days of the Voyagers. I joined an
astronomy club - which member I still am - in 1989 because there were
so little in the newspapers, TV and radio of Voyager 2 flyby of Neptune
and its moons and I wanted to get the club´s magazine to get more
news and information. I got more information, but because the magazine
was published 6 times a year at the time, I got it slowly. Nowadays I can
open the computer, go to Cassini´s homepage and see latest pictures.

It´s fantastic and realising how much the world has changed in 15
years, makes me feel myself pretty old - I was born the year the
Voyagers were launched; too young to have had much knowledge of
the Saturn flybys, but old enough to remember the Uranus flyby.
In the years since, the solar system has become far more interesting
place than then thought to be. It has been nice to follow the discoveries.





No comments: